Live-Electronics Workshop at mdw-Vienna (10.-13.10.2023)Written on September 29th, 2023 by AH
From 10.-13.10.2023 we will hold a live-electronics workshop at mdw within our PEEK ‘Études for Live-Electronics’ Project. Workshop Presenters will be:
- Luong Hue Trinh - Composer from Vietnam working in Ghana
- Tim-Tarek Grund, mdw, prev. TU-Berlin
- Dustin Zorn, mdw/Hfm
- Alex Hofmann, mdw
Title: Live-Electronics Workshop: Perform, Compose, Research and Innovate
The Live-Electronics Workshop is a 4-day event that focuses on the intersection of performance, composition, and artistic research in the field of live-electronics. The workshop will be held at mdw and culminate in a concert evening at the Klangtheater/Future Art Lab. Participants will have the opportunity to expand their creative boundaries, learn new techniques, and connect with fellow artists and practitioners in the field.
- Acquire insights into composition techniques and the fusion of traditional Vietnamese instruments with live-electronics.
- Perform in the mdw Future Art Lab or compose for live-electronic performers (LEP).
- Build live-electronic setups and harness their creative potential.
- Encourage performers to expand their repertoire and composers to explore new approaches for live-electronic performances.
- Foster artistic growth, exploration, and innovation in the field of live-electronics.
Each day will commence with a lecture recital featuring the workshop presenters. Participants will then collaborate in smaller groups on specific projects, including:
• Rehearsing and performing new pieces by Dustin Zorn and Luong Hue Trinh • Reviving John Chowning’s computer music composition ‘Stria’ through live performance • Participating in a composition project for Dan Bau and live-electronics • Building live-electronic setups, providing hands-on training and sharing valuable insights
mdw Students – The workshop is open to individuals from all backgrounds who are interested in live-electronics. The target group includes:
- Performers: Musicians, sound artists, and live-electronic performers who want to expand their repertoire and enhance their skills.
- Composers that want to explore new approaches and techniques for live-electronic performances and create own pieces.
- Artists and practitioners in the field of live-electronics
- Luong Hue Trinh: Gain a unique perspective as Luong Hue Trinh shares her approach to combining traditional Vietnamese instruments with live-electronics.
- Dustin Zorn and Alex Hofmann: Explore a new artistic research practice, where you’ll live-perform algorithmic tape pieces, repurpose electronic instruments, and expand your repertoire.
- Tim-Tarek Grund: Find assistance with HCI, programming, and sensors, and enhance your technical proficiency.
Be part of the mdw-based FWF-PEEK project “Études for Live-Electronics” and shape the future of live-electronic music!
Registration To register, please submit the following information:
- Full name
- Contact details (email, phone number)
- Short CV (background and experience)
- Short motivation letter (why are you interested in participating in this workshop)
Application should not be longer than max. 1 page in total.
Limited capacity: 8 participants (full time commitment 10.-13.10.2023)
Please send your registration to hofmann-alex(at)mdw.ac.at by August 1st.
- Tuesday 10.10.2023 till 12.10.2023 two blocks each day from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM & 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM (Workshop)
- Friday 13.10.2023 from 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM: Showcase Concert (6:00 PM) including Soundcheck and Setup
mdw – University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna (Room: M0107)
Anton-von-Webern-Platz 1 1030 Vienna